Olof Hanson papers
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains 126 sheets of microfilm with 6 images per sheet. This is a partial sampling of the Olof Hanson collection located at Gallaudet University Archives in Washington, D.C.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Olof Hanson was born in Fjelkinge, Sweden, on September 10, 1862. He and his family immigrated to the United States in 1875. hanson became permanently deaf somewhere between the ages of 10 and 13. He attended the Minnesota School for the Deaf in Faribault, and Gallaudet College in Washington, D.C., from which he received a bachelor's degree in 1886. He began working as a draftsman in the firms of E. Townsend Mix and Isaac Hodgson in Minneapolis in 1886.
After receiving a master's degree from Gallaudet College in 1889, Hanson studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris and traveled in Europe. When he returned to the United States, he was employed at Wilson Brothers & Company in Philadelphia, and then set up a practice in Faribault in 1894. He entered partnership with Frank Thayer in Mankato in 1901 and, after the firm won the competition for the courthouse in Juneau, Alaska, Thayer and Hanson moved to Seattle, Washington.
The partnership was dissolved in 1904 and Hanson continued to practice in Seattle, part of the time in the office of Schack, Young & Myers (1906-12). In 1924, he became a deacon in church ministries and in 1929 was ordained a priest and conducted services for the deaf in Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, and Portland.
Hanson died in Seattle on Auguts 8, 1933.
The above is an excerpt from Minnesota Architects: a biographical dictionaryby Alan K. Lathrop, 2010.
4 Linear Feet
This collection contains microfiche of a partial sampling of the Olof Hanson collection located at Gallaudet University Archives, Washington, D.C.
The collection is organized in the order in which it appears on the microfiche.
The collection was donated to the Archives by Douglas C. Jones, grandson of Olof Hanson, in 2006.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Alli Mertins, March 2016.
- Olof Hanson papers
- January 2016
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area