Hamm Brewery collection
Scope and Content Note
Contains architectural drawings from various additions and renovations to Hamm Brewery buildings in St. Paul, MN.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on access of this collection
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on use of this collection
A young German immigrant couple, Theodore and Louise Hamm moved to St. Paul in 1856. Years Later Theodore Hamm loaned money to a local entrepreneur, Andrew F. Keller. Keller was the owner of a small Brewery that produced about 500 barrels a year. Theodore loaned the money to Keller with the Excelsior Brewery as collateral. Keller defaulted on the loan and Hamm became the new owner of the brewery. Hamm increased the work force and the number of barrels brewed grew. Hamm Brewery went from 5 employees in 1865 (500 barrels a year) to 75 employees in 1885 (40,000 barrels a year). In 1894 the brewery expanded to include a bottling works, followed by artificial refrigeration in 1895.
In 1894 an open house was held and free samples of beer were handed out, beginning the long tradition of brewery tours. During Prohibition the plant produced soft drinks, but returned to the beer business in 1933. The brewery was incorporated in 1896, giving Theodore the title of president and William the titles of vice-president and secretary. The line to succession of the brewery was thus established, as the brewery remained in domain of the Hamm's family for 100 years. During its prime years, the 1950s and '60s, it was a major employer on St. Paul's East Side, and it became the Stroh's Brewery in the mid-1980s before closing in 1997.
2 boxes (3 linear feet)
This collection contains drawings for Hamm Brewery
This collection was donated by the Heritage Preservation Commission of St. Paul, MN
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Christine Avery .
- Hamm Brewery Collection
- Christine Avery
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area