Skip to main content

John G. Rauma papers

 Collection
Identifier: N211

Scope and Content Note

The Papers contain drawings for 28 structures designed by the architectural firm of Griswold and Rauma. There are original drawings and prints for residences, churches, educational and other buildings.

Dates

  • 1956-1988

Language of Materials

English

Restrictions on Access

Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.

Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on the use of the collection. Copies may be requested if the condition of the materials allows.

Biographical Note

John Gunnar Rauma was born January 22, 1926 in Virginia, Minnesota. Upon graduating high school in 1943 he entered the Navy, trained as an aviator and attained the rank of Lieutenant while on active duty. Rauma received his Bachelor of Naval Science degree from Marquette University in 1946. After his career with the Navy, he attended the University of Minnesota where he graduated from the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture with a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1950. He went on to earn a master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1952.

While studying at MIT, Rauma was employed by Anderson and Beckwith, Architects, and Pietro Belluschi, in Boston. He was appointed lecturer at the University of California-Berkeley’s School of Architecture until 1954, when he took a position as Chief of Design in the firm of Thorshov and Cerny. While working at Thorshov and Cerny, Rauma contributed to many projects, including the conception of the original Rapson Hall. His architectural skills, intellect, and presence among students impressed Ralph Rapson, the head of the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, so much that Rauma was appointed to the faculty in 1956. He helped design Middlebrook, Willey Hall, and Sanford, amongst other University buildings.

In 1963, Rauma co-founded the architecture firm of Griswold and Rauma with David Griswold. This practice specialized in providing practical solutions to problems, including economic feasibility, functional arrangements, efficiency of use, and environmental situations. “It seeks to serve human needs for shelter in harmony with environmental settings, both natural and manmade.” The firm performed a great variety of commissions, anywhere from institutional, educational, commercial, industrial, residential, religious, and healthcare facilities.

David Jackson Griswold was born July 8, 1918 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He attended both West and Washburn High Schools in Minneapolis before graduating from the University of Minnesota’s Institute of Technology in 1941 with a Bachelor of Architecture degree. Griswold attended postgraduate school at the U.S. Naval Academy where he received a Certificate in Naval Architecture in 1942. While on active duty in the Naval Reserve, he attained the rank of Lieutenant Commander and became a designer of landing craft and submarines. In the post war years, Griswold worked as Associate Architect for Magney, Tusler, and Setter in 1945 and Chief Draftsman for Long and Thorshov in 1948. He formed the private practice of David J. Griswold and Associates in 1952, until 1963 when Griswold and Rauma, Architects was formed.

John Rauma died on December 15, 2005. David Griswold died June 12, 2006.

Extent

5 boxes (15 linear feet)

Abstract

The Papers contain original drawings and prints of churches, residences, institutional (college and university) buildings, the Helsinki (Finland) Embassy and other structures.

Arrangement

The collection is organized alphabetically by commission name.

Physical Location

High Bay

Acquisition

The John G. Rauma Papers were donated to the University of Minnesota Libraries, Northwest Architectural Archives, by John G. Rauma in 2003.

Processing Information

The collection was processed by Paul Schwerkoske in 2008 and the finding aid written by Barbara Bezat in 2010, and updated by Alli Mertins in 2014.
Title
John G. Rauma Papers
Author
Paul Schwerkoske
Date
2008, 2010, 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-3550