Long and Kees collection
Scope and Content Note
The Long and Kees collection contain records dating from 1882 to the mid-1960s pertaining to the firms of F.B. Long and its successors: Long and Kees, Long and Long, Long, Lamoreaux and Long, and Long and Thorshov.
Included are ledger volumes of structural calculations (1902-1903), financial details of commissions (1885-1931) and specifications for numerous Twin Cities buildings, including the Minneapolis City Hall and Court House (62 volumes, 1894-1907); Minneapolis Gas Light Company (1902); Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company (1901); Oneida Building (1902); Kasota Block (1883); Radisson Hotel (1908-1909); Minneapolis City Hospital (1911-1913); and numerous stores and residences between 1883 and 1902. There are also original drawings for the Flour Exchange (1892-1909) and the Corn Exchange (1889-1897), both in Minneapolis, as well as blueprints for the Medical Arts Building, Minneapolis, designed by Long and Thorshov (1928-1929); interior remodeling plans of the Lumber Exchange (1920) by Long, Lamoreaux, and Long; and the Guy Thomas department store, Minneapolis (1912).
Miscellaneous items in the collection include original pen and ink renderings and drawings by Louis L. Long, articles and clippings, a notebook containing cost data of numerous Long and Kees commissions, a project list (to 1960) of Long and Kees and successors' structures, bids and proposals for the Minneapolis City Hall and Court House (1890-1903), a book of boat drawings by F.B. Long (1882-1896) and clippings and reports by and about the firm.
- Long and Kees (Organization)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on the use of materials in this collection. Copies can be requested if the condition of the originals warrants it.
Franklin Long was born in Afton, NY, on March 3, 1842. He left New York in 1859 and lived and worked as a carpenter and builder in Chicago and Woodstock, IL, and as a draftsman for architect J.C. Cochrane. In Chicago (1867), he became a partner of Ackerman (first name unknown) for a time, and then moved to Minneapolis about 1868 for health reasons. He was in private practice until 1874 when he briefly associated with Robert Alden, one of the area's pioneer architects. Long then joined Charles F. Haglin in partnership in 1875. After the firm dissolved in 1876, Long partnered with Frederick Kees from 1884 to 1897, creating one of the most successful architectural firms in Minneapolis. Together, they designed and built many of the largest buildings in the city in the 1880s and 1890s, including the Public Library (1884), Masonic Temple (1888), Lumber Exchange (1888-1890), Flour Exchange (1893-1897), Kasota Block (1884), and many warehouses, churches, and private residences. After Kees left the partnership in 1897, Long joined his son Louis and Lowell Lamoreaux in a practice that lasted until Long's death on August 21, 1912, in Minneapolis.
Frederick Kees was born in Baltimore, MD, on April 9, 1852. He worked for architect E.C. Lind in that city from 1865-1871, and again from 1872 to 1878, with a brief hiatus in Chicago in 1871-1872. Kees moved to Minneapolis in 1878 and entered the office of Leroy Buffington. He then became a partner of B.W. Fisk from 1882 to 1884 and then joined Franklin Long in partnership. After the firm dissolved in 1897, Kees practiced on his own until 1899, when he formed a partnership with Serenus Colburn. Colburn died in 1925 and for almost two years afterward Kees was a partner of H.G. Bowstead. Kees died in Minneapolis on March 16, 1927.
Louis L. Long, son of Franklin Long, was born in Minneapolis about 1870. He was educated in the Minneapolis public schools and received a degree by examination at the University of Minnesota in 1894. He entered his father's firm around 1895 and became a partner in 1898. He practiced until his death on May 20, 1925, on a train near El Centro, CA.
Lowell A. Lamoreaux was born in Lansing, MN, on December 23, 1861. His family moved to Minneapolis in 1868, where he graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1887. He then worked for Cass Gilbert in St. Paul until becoming a partner of James McLeod in Minneapolis from 1897 to 1899. He joined Long & Long and became a full partner about 1900. Lamoreaux died in Minneapolis on February 1, 1922.
In 1920, Olaf Thorshov, a native of Norway who had migrated to the U.S. about 1901, became a partner in the firm of Long, Lamoreaux & Long and it was subsequently renamed Long & Thorshov following the deaths of Lowell Lamoreaux and Louis Long. Thorshov died in Minneapolis in 1928.
Olaf's son, Roy Norman Thorshov, was born in Minneapolis in 1905. He graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1928 with a bachelor's degree in architecture and joined his father's partnership just before the latter's death. Thorshov then became a full partner in Long & Thorshov and, in 1942, was joined by Robert Cerny. The firm then was renamed Thorshov & Cerny. When that partnership dissolved in 1960, Thorshov went into practice with Willard Thorsen. Thorshov died in Minneapolis on March 13, 1992.
11.5 Cubic Feet
Collection contains records pertaining to the firms of F.B. Long, Long and Kees, Long and Long, and successors.
Mezzanine; High Bay
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.
- Architects -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kees, Frederick G., 1852-1927
- Lamoreaux, Lowell A., 1861-1922
- Long and Long
- Long and Thorshov
- Long, Franklin Bidwell, 1842-1912
- Long, Lamoreaux and Long -- Archives
- Long, Louis L., 1870-1925
- Thorshov, Olaf, 1883-1928
- Long and Kees collection
- Archives Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area