Charles A. Hausler papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains watercolor renderings, sketches, photographs, and tracings from Hausler’s private practice, documenting more than 100 buildings, including civic and commercial structures, churches, residences, banks, hospitals, and schools. Among the notable buildings documented are the St. Paul Temple of Aaron (1954); the Faribault (Minnesota) School for the Deaf (1931); pencil tracings for the Labor Temple (St. Paul) (1930); and photographs, tracings, and renderings for the Minnesota Building (St. Paul) (1928).
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on the use of materials in this collection. Copies can be requested if the condition of the originals warrants it.
Charles Hausler was born in 1889 in the West Seventh Street neighborhood of St. Paul. In his late teens, he apprenticed with Louis Sullivan in Chicago. When he returned to St. Paul, Hausler went into partnership with William Alban (1911–1913) and later with Percy Bentley (1914) and Ernest Hartford (1915–1916). He was St. Paul's first City Architect (1914–1923) and designed many St. Paul schools, branch libraries, fire stations, and park buildings, some in the Prairie School style. Hausler was elected to the State Senate in 1922. He retired after sixteen years' service and reestablished his architectural practice in 1939. Hausler's architectural career extended nearly to his death in 1971.
9.5 Cubic Feet
Collection contains watercolor renderings, sketches, and photographs from Charles Hausler's private practice, documenting more than one hundred buildings, including civic and commercial structures, churches, residences, banks, hospitals, and schools.
- Charles A. Hausler Papers
- Archives Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note