Skip to main content

Temple Court Office Building collection

Identifier: N111

Scope and Content Note

The plans in this collection are for later remodelings and alterations on Temple Court, carried out by several firms. There are beam plans and details, erection plans, framing plans, and floor plans showing office layouts for all but the 3rd floor. The plans are almost all blueprints, with only two sheets of original pencil on paper drawings included.


  • 1907-1924


Language of Materials


Restrictions on Access

Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.

Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on the use of materials in this collection. Copies can be requested if the condition of the originals warrants it.

Historical Note

Temple Court's architect, E. Townsend Mix, was born in New Haven, CT on May 13, 1831, of an old New England whaling family. He was educated in the schools of New Haven and first appears in architecture as a partner of W.W. Boyington in Chicago in 1852. Mix moved to Milwaukee in 1856 and maintained an office there until relocating to Minneapolis in 1888 for health reasons. He died in Minneapolis of consumption on September 2, 1890.

Mix designed several structures for Minneapolis and St. Paul, including the Globe Buildings (St. Paul, 1887) (Minneapolis, 1888-1889); the Northwestern Guaranty Life Building, better known as the Metropolitan Building, (Minneapolis, 1888-1890); and "Fairoaks", the residence of William Washburn (Minneapolis, 1883). None of these buildings are extant today. He also designed the Dodge County Court House, Mantorville, MN (1871), which is still standing.

Temple Court, which was erected in 1886 and razed in 1958, featured an interior light court that extended the full height of the building and was capped by a skylight. The building was 7 stories tall and its design undoubtedly served as a model for Mix's crowning achievement, the magnificent Metropolitan Building, in Minneapolis, built two years later. The Metropolitan was demolished in 1962.


0.5 Cubic Feet


Collection contains plans for later remodelings and alterations on Temple Court.


The collection is organized alphabetically by name of the architectural firm.

Physical Location

High Bay

Additional Finding Aid

An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.

Temple Court Office Building collection
Archives Staff
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area