Minneapolis Plan Vault Collections: Significant Architects
Scope and Content Note
The Minneapolis Plan Vault Collection is composed of plan sets deposited by builders and architects with the Building Inspections Department from 1909 to 1993 as a prerequisite for obtaining building permits. The Archives has sampled the plan sets to retain a broad spectrum of styles and buildings, including churches, commercial and industrial buildings, multi-family dwellings, hospitals and other types of structures.
The plans listed in the detailed contents section are a small part of the larger Minneapolis Plan Vault Collection but have been separated to highlight some of the work of prominent local architects.
This finding aid was developed from a database which used a combination of last names and first initials as the leading entry, so researchers are urged to use the ctrl + ffunction to search for desired commissions, using either the street address field and/or the commission name. Researchers should contact the staff of the Archives in advance of planning any research visits to use this collection.
There may be separate collections for many of these architects but the drawings in this group have not been removed from the Minneapolis Plan Vault Collection.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open to the public for research use. Copies may be requested if the condition of the material warrants.
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on the use of the collection.
The City of Minneapolis first began to issue building permits in 1884. In 1910 the City began to retain plans collected by them upon the issuance of building permits. Over the course of years the City routinely discarded residential plans to make room for incoming drawings, thus the collection contains few, if any, plans for houses.
112 boxes (340 cubic feet)
The Minneapolis Plan Vault Collection contains plan sets (copies) deposited by building and architects with the Building Inspections Department (Minneapolis, MN) from 1910 to 1993 as a prerequisite for obtaining building permits. The materials in this part of the collection were separated from the larger group because of the significance of the architects involved in the design of the structures listed.
The collection is organized alphabetically by architect, then by commission name.
The collection was acquired as a series of donations from the City of Minneapolis (MN) Department of Inspections (now Regulatory Services, 2010) from 1984 to 1993.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Alan K. Lathrop and Cole Ranzau in 2009 and 2010.
- Minneapolis Plan Vault Collection: Significant Architects
- Alan K. Lathrop and Cole Ranzau
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area