Skip to main content

Lang and Raugland papers

 Collection — Box: 1 unnumbered
Identifier: N119

Scope and Content Note

The papers contain sets of plans for many of the firm's commissions, supplemented by specifications, job files and office records dating from about 1959 to about 1964.

Among the buildings documented are the Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity House, University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) (1950-52); several buildings for Augsburg College, including the president's residence, dormitories, library, and auditorium/gymnasium (Minneapolis) (1947-1962); Northland Greyhound Lines bus depot (Minneapolis) (1936); Mizpah Congregational Church (Hopkins, MN) (1955-60); Radisson Hotel alterations (Minneapolis) (1940-49); Fairview Hospital additions and alterations (Minneapolis) (1928-54); Swedish Hospital additions and alterations (Minneapolis) (1928-59); and Boe Memorial Chapel, St. Olaf College (Northfield, MN) (1952).


  • 1907-1983


Language of Materials


Restrictions on Access

Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.

Restrictions on Use

Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).

Biographical Notes

Oscar Lang was born in Minneapolis on August 25, 1888. He worked for Minneapolis architect Cecil Chapman from 1908 to 1912 and then attended the School of Architecture of the University of Pennsylvania in 1913 to 1915, completing a two-year special course in design and drawing. Afterwards, he returned to Minneapolis and worked successively in the offices of architects Hewitt and Brown and Long, Lamoreaux and Long between 1915 and 1922. In the latter year, Lang formed the partnership of Lang, Raugland and Lewis; in 1930, the firm became Lang and Raugland. Lang died in Minneapolis on December 10, 1960.

Arnold Raugland was born in Minneapolis on December 6, 1893. He graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1920 with a degree in engineering. Between 1916 and 1920 he worked in several offices and served in the U.S. Army from 1917 to 1919. In 1922, he entered the partnership of Lang, Raugland and Lewis. Raugland's date of death is not known.

The firm continued in business as (George W.) Entrekin, (Orvall S.) Domholt, and (William C.) King and closed with the retirement of King, the last partner, in May 1992.


111 Cubic Feet


The collection contains working drawings, specifications and job files for many of the firm's commissions, along with scattered office records dating from about 1959 to about 1964.


The collection is organized into the following series:

  1. Working drawings
  2. Job files
  3. Specifications
  4. Office records

Physical Location

HB, Mezz


The papers were acquired by the Archives as a gift of William King, 1992.

Processing Information

The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Kathleen Kubesh, 1993-94.

Lang and Raugland Papers
Kathleen Kubesh
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area