Augustus F. Gauger papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains specifications and original drawings and blueprint reproductions for about 140 buildings, including residences for S.D. Bumgardner (St. Paul, n.d.), Gustave Doerr (Red Wing, MN., n.d.), C.D. Griffith (Camp Walton, FL., n.d.), C.F. Hubbard (Minneapolis, n.d.), C.H. Jarvis (St. Paul, 1920), August Prinz (Rochester, MN., n.d.) and Warren Weaver (Amery, WI., n.d.). Other structures include the August Becker store building (Red Wing, MN., n.d.); Arlington Hills Presbyterian Church manse (St. Paul, n.d.); Apple River Milling Company office building (Amery, WI., n.d.); Evangelical Lutheran parsonage (Hankinson, ND., 1919), Church of the Redeemer parsonage (St. Paul, n.d.); and addition to the Goodhue County Court House (Red Wing, MN., n.d.).
- Creation: 1909-1921
- Gauger, Augustus F., 1852-1929 (Person)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on the use of materials in this collection. Copies can be requested if the condition of the originals warrants it.
Augustus Gauger was born in Germany on February 16, 1852. He came to the U.S. with his family ten years later and lived on a farm near Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He worked as a carpenter in Oshkosh for several years, then went to Chicago to seek employment as an apprentice architectural draftsman. In 1875 Gauger moved to St. Paul and was employed as a draftsman in the office of Edward Bassford. Bassford was one of the city's most successful architects in the late 19th century and his office was a training ground for many architects of the next generation.
Gauger left Bassford in 1878 and set up his own practice in which he remained active until the late 1920s. While managing his own firm, Gauger also served successively as architect to the State Board of Education (1881-1887), St. Paul city building inspector (1894-1895), member of the committee revising the St. Paul Building Code (1896, 1910-1911), and architect to the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State Soldiers' Home (1905-1929). He married Albertine Nitschke in 1878. The couple had seven sons, one of whom, Raymond, succeeded his father in the practice. Gauger died in St. Paul on February 17, 1929. The Gauger firm was responsible for many buildings in Minnesota and throughout the U.S. Among these were courthouses in 14 states, plus numerous residences, schools, and commercial and institutional structures.
20 Cubic Feet
Collection contains specifications and original drawings and blueprint reproductions for about 140 buildings designed by architect Augustus F. Gauger.
The collection is organized alphabetically by commission name.
Mezzanine; High Bay
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.
- Augustus F. Gauger papers
- Archives Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note