Frank Horner papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains job files, specifications and plan sets for many commissions on which Frank Horner consulted with numerous architects. The projects include private dwellings, apartment houses, churches, schools, fire stations, medical facilities and commercial structures.
Among the buildings documented are: Shepard of the Hills Lutheran Church (Edina, MN), St. John's University Library (St. Joseph, MN), Winona Armory (Winona, MN), Butler Square restoration (Minneapolis, MN), YWCA building (Minneapolis, MN), KQRS radio station offices and studios (Golden Valley, MN), and structures for the Como Zoo (St. Paul, MN).
- Creation: 1960-1980
- Horner, Frank (Person)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Frank Horner was born in Linton, North Dakota on August 25, 1923. He served in the military during World War II. After the completion of his military service, Horner enrolled at the University of Minnesota, earning his bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1949. After graduation, he worked for a steel fabricating company and with a construction company before joining the Johnson-Sahlman Company. Horner stayed with Johnson-Sahlman for eight years before forming his own company, the Frank Horner Company, in 1962. His firm served as a structural engineering consultant on hundreds of projects for various Twin Cities architectural firms for almost 20 years. Horner was a major force behind the renovation of the Snelling-Selby neighborhood in St. Paul, Minnesota, where his firm's offices were located. Frank Horner died on December 6, 1980.
75 Cubic Feet
Collection contains the papers of Frank Horner, including job files, specifications and plan sets.
The collection is organized alphabetically by commission name in the following series:
- Working Drawings
- Job Files
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.
The collection was donated to the Northwest Architectural Archives by LaVonne Horner on September 24, 1984.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Peter Pelto, summer 2002.
- Frank Horner papers
- Peter Pelto; updated by Karen Spilman
- 2002; updated March 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note