Edwin H. Lundie papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection represents the complete work of this master draftsman and architect, containing many examples of his exquisite talent as an artist and his meticulous attention to detail in the hundreds of sheets of tracings for his homes. There are dozens of finely drawn renderings, usually in pencil on paper, plus working drawings for his buildings (pencil on tracing vellum), specifications, scrapbooks, diaries, photographs, and his architectural library of more then a hundred volumes. Buildings documented in the collection include the Cathedral of St. Joseph (1919), Diocesan College (1919), and Presentation Academy (1919), all in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; St. John's in the Wilderness Church (1956-61) White Bear Lake, Minnesota; St. John's Episcopal Church (1918) Cedar Rapids, Iowa; the Daniels estate (1930-46) Gem Lake, Minnesota; the Sweatt lake home (1944-56) Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota; the Burbank-Livingston-Griggs residence (1922-44) St. Paul; and numerous commissions for residences for the Weyerhaueser family of St. Paul as well as for such clients as George Dayton, Lytton Shields, Thomas Daniels, A.M. Fiterman, and Daniel Gainey. There are also working drawings for Lutsen Resort (1949-60) and for Lundie's own cabin on Lake Superior's North Shore.
In addition, the collection contains several original drawings and sketches by Emmanuel Masqueray and Thomas Holyoke.
- Edwin H. Lundie (Organization)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Materials are available for use in the Archives Reading Room.
Copyright has been transferred to the Archives. Therefore, users may purchase copies of Lundie's architectural drawings if the condition of the original material warrants.
Edwin Lundie was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on October 13, 1886. He attended grade school in Cedar Rapids from 1892 to 1899 and continued his education in Salem, North Dakota, after his family moved there while he was in high school. In 1904, Lundie came to St. Paul where he entered the firm of Gilbert & Holyoke as an unpaid apprentice. After Gilbert moved to New York in 1906, Lundie remained in Thomas Holyoke's employ until 1911, when he joined the office staff of Emmanuel Masqueray as a draftsman. While working for Masqueray, Lundie also attended his employer's atelier (1911-1914) and was active in the Gargoyle Club, a local training and social organization of architects.
Following Masqueray's death in 1917, Lundie formed a partnership with Fred Slifer and Frank Abrahamson, two other draftsmen in the firm, to close out the unfinished commissions then in the office. By 1919, these had been completed and the partnership was amicably dissolved. Lundie opened his own office and Slifer and Abrahamson went into partnership as a separate firm. From 1919 until his death, Lundie maintained an office in Cass Gilbert's Endicott Building in St. Paul and specialized in prestigious residences for many of the city's wealthy citizens. Lundie died in St. Paul on January 8, 1972.
350 Linear Feet
The collection represents the complete work of master draftsman and architect Edwin H. Lundie. Included are renderings, working drawings for his buildings, specifications, scrapbooks, diaries, photographs, and his architectural library of more then a hundred volumes.
Organization of the Collection
The collection is organized into the following series:
- Building Drawings
- Personal Papers
- Source Materials
Mezzanine; AV Room; High Bay
Records were transferred to the Northwest Architectural Archives in 1982 from the Minneaplis Museum of Art by a gift from Mrs. Ellen Thompson, daughter of Mr. Lundie.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Kathleen Kubesh, 1993-94.
- Abrahamson, Frank, 1885-1972
- Architects -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, domestic -- Middle West -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church architecture -- Middle West -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lundie, Edwin Hugh, 1886-1972
- Masqueray, E. L. (Emmanuel Louis), 1861-1917
- Resort Architecture -- Minnesota -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slifer, Frederick, 1885-1948
- Edwin H. Lundie Papers
- L. JoAnne Dodge
- 2 October 2003
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area