Hills, Gilbertson papers
Scope and Content Note
The papers of this collection include records of the architectural firm of Hills, Gilbertson and its predecessor firms, all of which specialized in institutional work, such as hospitals, convents and nursing homes, as well as public and private schools and churches of all denominations. This collection features plans, renderings, job files, specifications, photographs, photograph binders and shop drawings from numerous commissions throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota and Missouri.
- Hills, Gilbertson (firm) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.
Restrictions on Use
Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
James B. Hills was an architect in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1940 he created a partnership with Victor C. Gilbertson and Mark N. Hayes. Mark Hayes died in 1956, after which A.A. Fisher became a partner in the firm.
Victor C. Gilbertson was born in Velva, North Dakota. He earned his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Minnesota in 1935 and his Masters in Architecture from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1936. After graduation, he worked for the St. Louis firm O'Meara and Hills. He later moved to Minneapolis and established an architectural firm with James B. Hills and Mark N. Hayes principally to design churches, schools and hospitals. The firm later became Hills, Gilbertson, and Fisher.
The Hills, Gilbertson firm family tree consists of: Damon & O'Meara; O'Meara & Hills; Hill, Gilbertson (August 1940-August 1941); Hills, Gilbertson & Hayes (1941-1958); Hills, Gilbertson & Fisher (1958-unknown); Hills, Gilbertson & Fisher/Centrum Architects (unknown); Hills, Gilbertson Inc. (1983-unknown).
45 Cubic Feet
Collection contains plans for buildings designed by the architectural firm of Hills, Gilbertson and its predecessor firms.
The collection is organized into the following series:
- James B. Hills Publications
- Job Files
- Shop Drawings
- Working Drawings
Mezzanine; High Bay; A-V Room
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.
The collection was donated to the Northwest Architectural Archives by Victor Gilbertson in 1997.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Christine Emeott, July 1999.
- Architecture -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gilbertson, Victor C.
- Hills, James B.
- Hills, Gilbertson papers
- Christine Emeott
- July 1999
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area