Skip to main content

Pantages Theatre collection

 Collection
Identifier: N223

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains bluprints, all from the original Pantages Theatre built in 1916, consisting of floor plans, balcony seating, and other interior drawings, details, architectural drawings for signs, box offices, lights and plaster details. Other items include office records which relate to business operations of the theatre in the Vaudeville era; these records include signed contracts for performing acts, invoices, staff salary and expense receipts.

Dates

  • 1919-1921

Language of Materials

English

Restrictions on Access

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Restrictions on Use

Researchers are encouraged to make an appointment to view the materials; copies may be requested if the condition of the materials warrants.

Historical Note

The Pantages Theatre opened in 1916 as a vaudeville house by Alexander Pantages. It was designed by the Minneapolis firm of Kees and Colburn and B. Marcus Priteca. The Pantages’ first show was a vaudeville lineup that included singers, comedians and a banjo player; later, films would also be shown in the theatre. In 1946 the theatre was bought out and renamed the RKO Pan Theatre. In 1961 Ted Mann bought the theatre and it was again renamed as the Mann Theatre. The Mann theatre closed in 1984. The theatre went through various remodels thoughtout its history.

In 1996 the theatre was bought by the Hennpin Avenue Trust and the orginal floor plans, plaster and light fixture drawings were used to restore the theatre to its original character. The stained-glass “monitor,” a false skylight in the center of the auditorium’s ceiling, was revealed after layers of paint were removed. In cooperation with the City of Minneapolis, on November 7, 2002 the completely renovated Pantages re-opened at a cost of $9.5 million. Since then, the intimate Pantages has presented music, theatre and dance artists.

Extent

3 boxes

Abstract

Collection contains shop drawings, architectural detail drawings and office records for the Pantages Theatre.

Arrangement

The collection is organized into three catagories:

  1. Architectural Details
  2. Shop Drawings
  3. Office Records

Physical Location

High Bay

Acquisition

This Collection was donated in May of 2006 by the Minneapolis Community Development Agency.

Related Material

See also the Liebenberg and Kaplan Papers (N 36) and the Kees and Colburn Papers (N31) in the Northwest Architectural Archives.

Processing Information

The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Christine Avery in November, 2010.

Title
Pantages Theatre Collection
Author
Christine Avery
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-3550