Skip to main content

Pass and Rockey collection

Identifier: N278

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains structural drawings, blueprints, job files, correspondence, office records, specifications, photos, and microfilm for public schools, commercial stores, and churches in southern Minnesota from Pass and Rockey Architects. Materials from other firms such as Wick and Stansfield and Cheever and Asleson are also included in this collection.


  • 1915-2002

Language of Materials


Restrictions on Access

Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.

Restrictions on Use

Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).

Biographical Note

George W. Pass was born in Pella, Iowa in 1848. As an experienced carpenter and contractor, he opened his own carpentry shop in Mankato, Minnesota in the year of 1877. While expanding his business to contracting, he was also involved with small architectural design projects. He became a full-time architect in 1887. He designed residences, jails, and commercial buildings with his partner Albert Schippel from 1887 to 1902. Paul Rockey joined him later in 1927, and succeeded the practice after Pass’ death on June 9, 1931 in Mankato.

Paul Thomas Rockey was born in Freeport, Illinois in 1894. In 1917 he graduated from the University of Illinois with a bachelor’s degree in architecture and structural engineering. He worked for the firm Grabe & Helleberg in Columbus, Nebraska as a draftsman, then he joined the armed forces in World War I for two years. When he returned from the war, he continued to work for Grabe & Helleberg for another two years. He then joined George Pass & Son and became Pass’ partner. After succeeding Pass, Rockey was a structural engineer for Giffels & Vallet, then Graham, Anderson Probst & White of Chicago during World War II. Later in the 1970s, Rockey partnered with Walter B. Cheever (Rockey and Cheever) which continued as Cheever and Asleson. He passed away November 3, 1979 in Mankato.


20 boxes (31 linear feet)


This collection contains structural drawings, blueprints, job files, correspondence, office records, specifications, photos, and microfilm for Pass, Rockey, and Church Architects as well as materials from Wick and Stansfield and Cheever and Asleson.


The collection is organized alphabetically into the following series:

  1. Audio/Visual Materials
  2. Drawings
  3. Job Files

Physical Location

High Bay


The collection was donated to the Archives by Blue Earth Historical Society, 2014

Processing Information

The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Darly Vu, 2014-2015.

Pass and Rockey collection
Darly Vu
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Northwest Architectural Archives Collecting Area