Martha Boesing papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection includes scripts, drafts, research, development and production notes for various works by Martha Boesing (1985-2000), limited correspondence and numerous manuscripts and published works (1963-) by other playwrights, most notably Megan Terry and Norah Holmgren (aka Nancy Walter).
- Majority of material found within ( 1988-2004)
- Boesing, Martha (Person)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open and available for use in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Use
The collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Permission of the donor is required for reproduction if intent is for performance purposes.
Martha Boesing was born in New Hampshire in 1936 and lived in New England throughout her childhood. In the 1960s Boesing migrated to Minneapolis where she worked with numerous theatres including Firehouse Theatre. In 1974, she became the artistic director and, along with her husband Paul Boesing and four others, She is one of the founding members of At the Foot of the Mountain, a feminist theatre collective. She worked with At the Foot of the Mountain until 1984, though continued to work with them intermittently after that date. Boesing worked as playwright, director, actor and producer throughout Minneapolis before moving to San Francisco in 2001. Her plays frequently explored feminist and environmental philosophy.
6 boxes (6 linear feet)
4 Gigabytes (623 files, 96 folders)
Collection contains scripts written by Martha Boesing, research and development materials, as well as works written by others.
The collection is organized into the following three series:
- Works By Others
- Environmentalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Screenplays Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Political aspects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Martha Boesing papers
- Finding aid created by Anne Simpson
- July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note