Historical Scenic Collection - Lyric Opera of Chicago
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains 3,142 color slide reproductions of the scenic designs of the Historical Scenic Collection at Northern Illinois University. The slides document late 19th and early 20th century scenic art in American and European scene painting and opera design.
- Adducci, Alexander F. (Person)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Use
Permission to copy materials in this collection must be obtained from Peter Kogan and Henry Denecke, Jr.
Restrictions on Access
The images are protected under copyright law. Contact the archivist for further information regarding copyright of these materials.
The Historical Scenic Collection is one of the largest scenic collections in the world, containing 90 opera settings, approximately 900 backdrops and over 2200 scenic units. The collection contains the scenic works of Oscar Hammerstein's Manhattan Opera Company, the Civic Opera Company of Chicago and the Lyric Opera of Chicago. The Historical Scenic Collection is housed at the Arts Annex of the College of Visual and Performing Arts at Northern Illinois University.
Collection contains 3,142 color slide reproductions documenting the Historical Scenic Collection held at Northern Illinois University.
The collection is organized alphabetically by opera title.
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available. Please contact the Performing Arts Archives for details.
The collection was purchased from the Northern Illinois University School of Theatre Arts in 1998.
- Lyric Opera of Chicago -- Pictorial works
- Northern Illinois University
- Operas -- Performances -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters -- Stage-setting and scenery -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Historical Scenic Collection Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Karen Spilman
- January 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Performing Arts Archives Collecting Area