Minnesota Underground Music Archive (MUMA) collection
Scope and Content Note
The Minnesota Underground Music Archive documents independent bands and artists in Minnesota. In addition to recorded music on CD, tape, and vinyl formats, the collection contains live and promotional photographs, posters and flyers, publications, and ephemera (primarily band merchandise and promotional material).
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open and available for use by researchers in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
The Minnesota Underground Music Archive (MUMA) is a unique assemblage of publications, publicity, photographs, recordings, and ephemera documenting punk and underground music culture in Minnesota from 1950 to present. MUMA is a community-driven archive with active accruals.
13 Linear Feet (17 boxes)
Collection contains music, art, writing, and photographs documenting independent music scenes in Minnesota.
Additional Finding Aid
An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available. Please contact the Performing Arts Archives for details.
The collection was established by Tim Carroll and Liseli Povlika in 2013. Acruals are received on an ongoing basis. Materials have come from numerous individuals, including but limited to: Thomas Boettner, Tim Carroll, Bentley Cunningham, Rachel Davidson, Peter Dyste, Extreme Nosie Records, Elliot Gordon, Andy Lefton, John Mulhouse, Mark Nelson, Liseli Povlika, Robert Quast, Jason Wade, Helen Walden-Fodge.
Processing of the collection began in 2015, and is ongoing. The finding aid is updated as materials are made available.
- Heavy metal (Music) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Noise music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Punk culture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Punk rock music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rock music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Subculture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota Underground Music Archive
- Kathryn Hujda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Performing Arts Archives Collecting Area