Zoe Sealy papers
Scope and Content Note
The bulk of the collection contains video recordings of performances by the Minnesota Jazz Dance Company and its members. The collection also contains several photos, slides, and publicity materials such as press clippings, programs, and flyers.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open and available for use by researchers in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Use
Copyright is retained by the copyright holders.
"In 1972 Zoe Sealy founded the Zoe Sealy Dance Center, which for many years was a primary training ground for jazz and tap artists. In addition, Zoe founded and was Artistic Director of the Minnesota Jazz Dance Company and toured with the company in the 70’s and 80’s throughout the U.S. and Canada. For 25 years Zoe was on the faculty in the Department of Theatre Arts and Dance at the University of Minnesota where she was instrumental in building the jazz program. She has also been on the faculties of the International Music Camp, Jacobs Pillow, Northwest Ballet, and Ballet Arts Minnesota. Her teaching and choreographic work has been commissioned across the nation and internationally in Australia, Canada, the Caribbean, China, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. Now retired, when her travel plans allow, she continues to freelance as a teacher and choreographer and is active in the dance community in various volunteer capacities. Her most gratifying work now is mentoring younger artists, helping them to develop their skills and watching them grow as artists. Recent honors include the 2011 and 2013 Sage Nomination for Outstanding Dance Educator, and the 2012 Sage Nomination for Special Citation." "Zoe Sealy" Accessed July 24, 2020. http://www.eclecticedgeensemble.com/choreographer-bios/2015/1/10/zoe-sealy
3 Linear Feet (2 record cartons, 2 trays)
Collection contains photos, videos, slides, and publicity.
The collection is organized in the following series:
The collection was donated to the Performing Arts Archives by Zoe Sealy in 2013.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Kathryn Hujda, 2015, with generous support from Creative Heritage Initiative donors.
- Advertising Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audio-visual materials Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Jazz dance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota Jazz Dance Company
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Press releases. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sealy, Zoe
- Theater Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zoe Sealy papers
- Kathryn Hujda
- January 13 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note