Ananya Dance Theatre records
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains grant applications, yearly budgets, tour schedules, performance dates, press kits, programs, reviews, fliers, posters, and press clippings related to the work of the Ananya Dance Theatre and founder Ananya Chatterjea.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Use
The collection is open and available for use by researchers in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Access
Copyright is retained by the copyright holders.
The Ananya Dance Theatre (ADT) was founded by Minneapolis dancer, educator, choreographer, and activist Dr. Ananya Chatterjea. Created as a company comprised of female artists of color, ADT promotes social justice through staging and creating original work inspired by lives of women around the world. Artistic Director and Founder Ananya Chatterjea combines her training in the folk and classical tradition of Indian dance with ideas of social activism and feminism to create an engaging aesthetic in her choreography that promotes justice, beauty, and awareness. The Ananya Dance Theatre has been the recipient of grants through organizations like the Minnesota State Arts Foundation, Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, and the Bush Foundation, and has performed both locally in the Twin Cities Metropolitan area, as well as throughout the United States.
6 boxes (6 linear feet)
Collection contains press clippings, publications, and administrative records related to the the intellectual and creative work of the Ananya Dance Theatre.
The collection is organized into six series:
- Press Clippings by Subject
- General Press Clippings
- Programs and Publications
- Oversized Press Clippings and Posters
The collection was donated to the Performing Arts Archives by the Ananya Dance Theatre in 2015.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Carley Ruemmele in June of 2015, with generous support from Creative Heritage Initiative donors.
- Ananya Dance Theatre
- Chatterjea, Ananya
- Dance companies -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Intellectual property Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political activists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social justice Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Minnesota -- Reviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ananya Dance Theatre records
- Kathryn Hujda
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Performing Arts Archives Collecting Area