Minnesota Music Educators Association (MMEA) records
Scope and Content Note
The collection includes copies of the various periodicals produced over the years by the Minnesota Music Educators Association (MMEA), including Gopher Music Notes from 1944 to 200. The sound recordings include 33-rpm records, audio cassettes and CDs. The Mid-Winter Clinic material dates from the 1930s to 2001. The Historical Projects materials contain theses and research papers by members of the MMEA on subjects of interest to the members. The correspondence, files and working papers dates from 1942 to 2001.
Language of Materials
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open and availalbe for use by researchers in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Use
See Curator for copyright information.
The Minnesota Music Educators Association (MMEA) is a membership organization composed of teachers and other administrators in the field of music education. The MMEA provides various resources for its 2,000+ members, including an annual in-service conference and a quarterly magazine, Interval. The MMEA sponsors all-state band, choirs, orchestras, and jazz ensembles, and provides opportunities for its members students to enrich their musical experiences through elementary and junior high festivals. In addition, MMEA sponsors an annual retreat for collegiate chapter members, supports the Arts Education Consortium of Minnesota, and advocates music education through a variety of efforts. (Information from the MMEA web page, December, 2006)
The collection contains publications, sound recordings, administrative documents relating to the Mid-Winter Clinic, information about historical projects, a program collection, Board meetings minutes and related files, financial reports and corespondence.
The collection is organized into 10 series:
- Sound recordings
- Mid-Winter Clinic
- Historical projects
- Program collections
- Exemplary Music Program Awards
- Officers' Notebooks
- Board Meetings and Board files
- Financial reports
The collection was donated by the Minnesota Music Educators Association in 2003.
There may be additional materials added to the collection.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Dr. David Docter, 2006.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Music -- Composition Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Periodicals. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Theater Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Production and direction Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- University of Minnesota Subject Source: Local sources
- Minnesota Music Educators Association (MMEA) records PA072
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Performing Arts Archives Collecting Area