Showing Collections: 31 - 60 of 73
Papers of Katherine Ruuhela consists of correspondence with Finnish relatives, in which is mentioned a brother who moved from the U.S. to Soviet Karelia; photographs of family members in Finland and in the U.S.; newspaper clippings; a scrapbookof collected poems and articles; a memoir of the Finnish-Russian war; miscellaneous books; a print of Juho Rissanen's painting of a Finnish American homestead; biographies intended for a family history; and miscellany.
Collection consists of six photographs of Finnish Americans in Monessen, Pennsylvania, featuring large groups of men, women and children in front of a church building, the Finnish National Society building, and also the Louhi Band of Monessen seated in a hall.
Papers (n.d.) of Lauri Koivulehto consist of newspaper clippings of articles on frontier life in Minnesota by Koivulehto, pasted in a book.
Papers contain books, sheet music, songbooks, music catalogs, play scripts and catalogs, interview transcripts, translations of new articles, and photographs.
Papers (1964-1968; n.d.) of Maija Lipponen consist of three scrapbooks containing typescripts; newspaper clippings of her poems; and newspaper clippings of articles (some by Lipponen) about the Finnish Workers' Education Club (Lake Worth, Fla.) and other radical Finnish interests and activities.
Eight volumes of handwritten poetry, in four folders. Some entries written in Seattle, Washington.
Two accounting ledgers of the Markham Sewing Society. Markham is located in northeastern Minnesota, Saint Louis County, about 40 miles north of Duluth.
Papers of Matt Kantola of Lake Worth, Fla., consist of a letter and a poem.
Matti Simi (+Nov. 19, 1955) was a Finnish American actor. Collection consists of his autobiography covering his life up to 1944, and two photographs. Included is a letter from the donor, his daughter, to the IHRC.
One notebook containing handwritten lyrics to songs in Finnish, mostly folk and some socialist songs. According to the donor, Mr. Esko, the materials originated at a Finnish American homestead in the Meadowlands area near Duluth, Minnesota.
Records (1934-1973) of the Minnesota Federation of Finnish Civic Clubs (Virginia, Minn.) include correspondence; proceedings; constitution; by-laws; minutes and photographs of the Federation and of two of its member clubs, the American Finnish Civic Club (Virginia, Minn.) and the North Star Civic Club (Kinney, Minn.).
Records (1939-1960) of the Mt. Iron-Kinney-Cherry Parish (Suomi Synod), Mountain Iron, Minn., consist of Parish Board correspondence (1939-1955); a ledger of Parish Board minutes (1943-1960); and Sunday Church bulletins.
Records (1923-1972) of the Naisyhdistys Pyrkija, Brooklyn, New York, are largely made up of minutes. Also included are two printed pamphlets giving the history of the organization until 1953 and a copy of Suomen Saveltajia Kudentoista Vuosisadan Ajalta (Suho Ranta, ed.).
Records (1906-1953) of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter and related organizations (Nashwauk, Minnesota) consist of twenty-two ledgers reflecting Finnish organization activity in Nashwauk. Included are minutes, membership ledgers; and financial records.
Records (1930-1972, inclusive; 1930-1939, bulk) of the North Hurley (Wisconsin) Co-operative Association consist of minutes, including those of the organizational meeting.
Papers of Onni Kaartinen consist of his personal copy of a play script of Ajan Laulu (Song of the Ages), a Finnish American proletarian musical written by Aku Paivio (music by Frank Lindros).
Papers (1906) of Oscar Makela consist of a notebook of poetry and popular songs, some by Makela himself.
Papers (1938) of Pentti Raunio consists of a handwritten manuscript of his unpublished novel, ISA. Raunio came to the United States in the late 1930s at the invitation of the Finnish Workers Federation to direct drama and theatre courses in various Finnish communities.
Records (1886-1925) of the Pohjan Leimu Temperance Society (Soudan, Minn.) consist of correspondence and minutes.
Records (1896-1966) of the Raivaaja Publishing Company (Fitchburg, Mass.) include proceedings of the board of directors.
Papers (n.d.) of Rora Strom consist of poems and a letter.
Collection consists of a copy of a commemorative publication celebrating the 15th anniversary of socialism building in the Soviet Karelia ("Neuvosto-Karjalan 15-vuotiselta taipaleelta - 1920-1935") and news clippings pertaining to the Karelian Finns. Included is a list of about 1400 Finnish names of inidivduals who migrated to Karelia.)
Records (1914-1964) of the Saima Workers' Society (Fitchburg, Minn.) include proceedings; board of directors minutes (1916-1918); correspondence; economic committee reports; and property inventories (1919).
Records (1908-1973) of the Sebeka Cooperative Creamery Association, Sebeka, Minn., consist of by-laws; articles of incorporation; and minutes of the Association.
Records (1931-1937) of the Selva Temperance Society, (Hutten, Minn.), contain correspondence, financial records, and minutes. Also included is a scrapbook of newspaper clippings about the Russo-Finnish War and World War II.
Papers (n.d.) of Sofia Salmi consist of a notebook containing poetry and drawings.
The St. Louis County, Minn., rural schools collection (1935-1940) consists of agricultural extension information and publications.
- Collecting Area
- Immigration History Research Center Archives 72
- University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections 1
- Finnish 12
- Finnish American socialists 12
- Finnish American theater 7
- Finnish American press. 6
- Finnish Americans 6
- Finnish Americans -- Societies, etc. 6
- Finnish American authors. 5
- Finnish American communists 5
- Finnish American newspapers. 5
- Finnish Americans -- Minnesota 5
- Lutherans, Finnish. 5
- Ethnic theater. 4
- Music 3
- Religious life 3
- Socialists 3
- Church records and registers -- Minnesota -- Mountain Iron. 2
- Cooperative societies -- Minnesota -- Nashwauk. 2
- Finnish American Historical Society 2
- Finnish American poets. 2
- Finnish American publishers and publishing. 2 + ∧ less
- English 11
- English 1
- FinnFest USA 2
- Aamunkoitto Temperance Society, Brooklyn, NY 1
- Barberg, Hazel E. 1
- Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church (Ishpeming, Mich.). 1
- Doby, Velma M. 1
- Farmers Cooperative Mercantile Association (Kettle River, Minn.). 1
- Finnish American League for Democracy (Fitchburg, Mass.). 1
- Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church (New York Mills, Minn.) 1
- Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation (Republic, Mich.). 1
- Finnish Socialist Chapter (Ely, Minn.). 1
- Finnish Socialist Chapter (Markham, Minn.). 1
- Finnish Socialist Club (Astoria, Ore.). 1
- Finnish Socialist Federation. National Executive Committee (Chicago, Ill.). Eastern District Committee (Fitchburg, Mass.). 1
- Finnish Socialist Organizations. West Coast Chapters. 1
- Finnish Worker's Society "Kehitys" Archive (Cloquet, Minn.). 1
- Gardner, Massachusetts Finnish Socialist Chapter. Archive. 1
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (Hibbing, Minnesota) 1
- Idan Uutiset (Eastern News) Publishing Company (Fitchburg, Mass.). 1
- Jackson, Alex. 1
- Jarven Kukka Temperance Society (Sparta and Gilbert, Minn.). 1 + ∧ less